Thursday, June 24, 2010

disconnected in a connected world

--This has been in my drafts folder for months...finally posting it---

A while back I went on an amazing trip to a remarkable place. A place in the wilderness...kind of. A place for grown-ups and kids alike. A place where you can sleep in the trees and feel the wind as it sways you from side to side 30+ feet in the air. Treehouses. Yep, treehouses. And though this isn't really about what happened on these amazing three days that I spent here in a magical place -- but really about what did not happen. I turned my phone off.

We are obsessed with connectivity. We have a constant direct connection to everything and everyone. If I get lost...I hit maps on my iPhone and route me to where I need to go. I can call ahead from the road. I can text a quick answer or question to a friend 400 miles away. We can Skype across the Ocean. Status updates on FaceBook with a picture of our pet goat that just swallowed a watermelon seed, a tweet about your morning unfriendly episode of someone that just cut you off and you spilled a Venti Soy White Mocha all over your lap, or even post a YouTube video of Cousin Johnny running smack dab into the sliding glass door...all for the world to see -- instantly.

All of these things can be gratifying. They can all leave us with a sense of accomplishment. But what's the downside to be constantly connected to the world. I grew up prior to the cell phone boom...or even the existence of cell phones as we know them today. I survived the walk to the bus just fine. (No, it wasn't uphill both ways in the snow...it just didn't snow.) I actually memorized telephone numbers of my friends. Now, I think I know maybe two numbers of people that I call on a regular basis. We've not only become lazy with technology but we have accepted that this is the way it is... it's convenient now. I think it affects our memories and our overall mental preparedness in daily situations. We have also mastered the art of procrastination. Before, we'd plan the day, we'd plan where we would meet, and where we were going...now, I'll call you from the road or send you a text-- back and forth forty-two times to get the answer to a simple question. Yes, it's great to have a phone in an emergency. However, does an eight year old need a cell phone? Where's the line? At what point do we want to teach others that they have to be connected at all times? This goes beyond being connected and available it gives way to the expectation that the other person should answer you...immediately. I texted Susie 20 minutes ago...the least she could do is reply back. People use phones constantly at work, texting friends, posting on Facebook, surfing the internet for unrelated work topics. Where does it stop?

Take a day off from the technology. Take a day away from FB and Twitter and texting and all of the technology. (Just make sure you post it on FB, Twitter, and text me to let me know. I don't want to worry after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment