Monday, September 27, 2010

by the ocean i stood and i was lost

A three week get away that began in familiar settings in California and ended with a three day cruise in the Bahamas helped me regain a perspective on life that I once had so long ago.

On the plane ride to the East Coast, I finished another book by Coelho, 'BY THE RIVER PIEDRA I SAT DOWN AND WEPT' -- A common theme throughout this writing and many other things that I have read in the past several months was how we have many chances and opportunities in our lives but we recognize them after they have passed by.

We get caught up in our routines, our daily lives. We don't stop to 'smell the roses.' We fly by the beauty that surrounds us at 70 mph on the freeway only concentrating on what is at the end of the trip and not what is there around us on the way. I stood there, on the beach on Disney's private island, and for the first time that I could remember I lost myself. I was not worried about work, or relationships, or getting sun burnt, or getting attacked by sharks...my focus was on the sea, the horizon, the beauty, the sounds, the smells-- and I stood there-- time passing without a realization of it happening. I was content, I was happy, I was free. Though this may have only lasted a moment -- perhaps an hour. I may have needed to be 3000 miles away from home to achieve this sensation for the first time...but I will fight to remember it, I will fight to find it again in the things around me.

My focus now is on balance. I know I can put in everything I have at work. I can succeed in my life professionally. I can give my heart and soul for the profession I have CHOSEN. I don't need to sacrifice my efforts and passion and commitment and pursuit for excellence in work to have the same goals and desires in my personal life. I recognize that I have to put in that same energy into my personal life. Life is full of hard work and challenges and distractions and routines--all trying to keep us from the greater rewards that come from such dedication and focused direction. I will find my reward---and it will be worth all of the effort!



1 comment: