Sunday, January 2, 2011

understand yourself first…

Can you ask other people to understand you? What if you, yourself, do not understand who you are? I think that we are all in search of finding answers in life. Some people have stopped asking the questions. Some people ask questions but don’t like any of the answers. Is there a right answer for each of us specifically based on our personality types? Based on our goals, our hopes and our dreams?

To paraphrase an author, ‘We need to overlook the potholes and just enjoy the journey.’ We get so focused on one aspect in our life that we sometimes ignore and lose sight of things that are so close upon us they could smack us on the back of the head. Perhaps there is no magic answer of where we need to be in life. Perhaps we need to not compare our lives to those around us. But, we use these gauges—these societal forces and allow them to make us feel and act certain ways.

I know for me personally, I always find it interesting when I can’t answer the basic questions that EVERYONE always asks. What’s you favorite book, movie, show at the theater? I’m sure one stands out over the other. I’m sure if I had to sit down and answer these things I could do it after much thought. But, the big questions…I can answer these. What do you want in life? Happiness. What is important for you in a relationship? Find someone to share in this goal with me and grow together. What do you want to do in the next five years? Find a challenge that forces me to put my heart and soul into it—and achieve. These may be generic answers. These answers may not have structure and I may not have any idea where to turn to achieve any of them…but I know what I want –overall. I find it interesting that growing up, I used to think I knew every path I was going to take along the journey only to discover later on in life that the journey is made up of paths that change daily as I grow.

There is no set answer. There is no set path. And though we always hope that others understand who we are –it is only possible for them to begin to understand when we understand ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment